5 Tips For Lifeguards To Stay On Track This Summer!
1. Brush Up – Take some time to meditate on the things that have made your lifeguarding career successful thus far, whether it be previous years as a working as a Lifeguard or completion of your Lifeguard Certification. Focus on the routines and actions that made those experiences a success or improvements that can be made to ensure future success. (Insider Tip: Try yoga or stretching.)
2. Eat Healthy – The days of binge watching Netflix and munching on Doritos are over! Although this may have been a fun distraction for a short time, you knew all along that lifestyle was just temporary and is not what you are about as a Lifeguard. Eat well balanced meals including lots of fruits and vegetables to get the essential nutrients that you will need to sustain your body through a long summer Lifeguard season. (Insider Tip: Eat carrots. Carrots are high in vitamin A, C, K and potassium, all essential for Lifeguards to keep you healthy, hydrated, and “eyes on the water”.
3. Train – Let’s be honest, it may have been a few months since you last step foot in the water. For those of you who have a regular swim routine that you stick with, hats off. Keep it up. For the rest of us, lets get a plan and back in the water. Start off with just basic freestyle strokes to warm up, then move into lifesaving strokes such as head up crawl and modified side stroke. Did some say “Dive Brick”? (Insider Tip: Get some friends together and practice some maneuvers or throw a SKWIM Disk around. Time passes a lot faster with friends.)
4. Lather Up – It can’t be overstated. Proper application of sunscreen is crucial to limiting future risk of skin cancers, which is no joke. 30 years from now you will thank us. By the way, you are a Lifeguard after all, setting a good example for your facility patrons is not a bad idea. SPFs of at least 30+ should do the trick. (Insider Tip: Avoid sunscreens with oxybenzone and octinoxate. Not good for the environment and maybe not good for you either. The State of Hawaii just proposed a Bill to ban them.)
5. Have Fun – You will be making memories that will last a lifetime so “enjoy the ride!” Make friends and memories. Follow these 5 summer tips and you are destined to have a fun and successful summer Lifeguard season. Guard on!
For future videos on upcoming Lifeguard Shows, visit www.lifeguardtv.com